Thursday, April 26, 2007

Full Frontal Feminism


"Covering a range of topics, including pop culture, health, reproductive rights, violence, education, relationships, and more, Valenti provides young women a primer on why feminism matters."-- from the Publisher

Congratulations to accomplished feminist blogger Jessica Valenti on the publication of her book, Full Frontal Feminism: A Young Woman's Guide To Why Feminism Matters (read her Salon interview here).

Until fairly recently, I had lived in an isolated part of Florida; beyond my family, the only female friends I knew were other mothers whom I'd see before and after school. From what I gathered during our brief conversations, women my age and younger were consumed with enormous amounts of work and numerous worries, the issue of womens' rights oftentimes least among them, if indeed among them at all. I worried that we'd eventually, inevitably, lose our collective fighting spirit and become docile and accepting, even as women's rights are subtly eroding beneath our feet, which process is aided and abetted by the very officials--legislative and judicial alike--we pay to protect our rights.

But then I moved to the city and got to know some actual young feminists besides myself (and by young, I mean early twenties to my age, which is medium-young. Ahem.) They have plenty of fighting spirit; they care about retaining and regaining reproductive rights and fighting the rising tide of violence against women; next year, they say, they will vote for pro-women candidates.

I should add that there are many wonderful feminist blogs restoring my faith these days, including Ms. Valenti's smart Feministing.

I look forward to reading and recommending the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment