Saturday, December 15, 2007

Duck's Off!



It has been one of those weeks.

You too, huh? It's not as though I've been expecting things to go perfectly, or swimmingly, or even well. Hell, I'm at the point where I look around me at the end of the day, and if the head count of the children is the same as it was yesterday--and all their limbs are intact--I'm grateful enough. Honestly, I can't wait for final exams, science projects, Christmas plays, and cookie-bakings to be finished so I can begin to enjoy the holidays for real. (You'd think I was the one in school, which , come to think of it, sounds like the better deal at the moment.)

Anyway, as someone who has been known to swear at and, okay, perhaps even threaten the occasional inanimate object, I've always loved this episode of the Britcom gem Fawlty Towers. Called Gourmet Night, it's about a promotional dinner at the Fawlty Towers hotel, one which the owners hold with the intention of attracting a high-class clientele. Of course, the whole effort goes terribly, hilariously wrong in every conceivable way. You'll want to pay attention around the 6:50 mark, when Basil (the incomparably funny John Cleese) launches into a tirade against his hapless (and mechanically hopeless) red Mini.

Also at Cogitamus.

No comments:

Post a Comment